We loved our headboard. But in our Master Bedroom is this weird niche in the wall, and it just seemed awkward and weird. It was time for a new mattress, so we decided to move this bed to the guest room and get something new that was lower than the bottom trim on the niche.
Once that proved impossible, we tried the bed without a headboard.
That was a little too dorm room for me, so we decided to make a headboard out of fabric.
It’s a subtle difference, but a very important one, and now the hole makes more sense.
We got fabric, 2 inch dense foam and batting from Joann. All on sale. We had talked about tufting the piece, but because it would be covered up, didn’t want to go to the trouble. We wound up finding this great fabric that has a tufted look.
First, we laid out the fabric and foam and then cut the fabric roughly 5 inches bigger than the foam.
Next we cut out the batting to the same size as the fabric
Then, we got a plywood board from Lowe’s (around $7) and cut it the same size as the foam.
Next, we used spray adhesive to attach the foam to the board and then layered it up. Fabric, batting, foam and board. And then stapled everything together: just like recovering a seat cushion.
The finished product.
Then, using Flush Mounts, we hung the headboard on the wall, making sure it was level.
The entire project cost about $75 and took about 3 hours from start to finish. It looks and feels great. I would do this project again and do it on a larger scale if there wasn’t a big hole over my bed.